Monday, October 15, 2012

The Zoo


On a beautiful fall day a couple of weeks ago, I visited the zoo with some other sketchers. I hadn't been there in years. I found that even the very slow moving animals are still in constant motion and they're very tricky to draw! Disclaimer: I pretty much faked in on the giraffe's spots.



This little goat was in the petting zoo. When the goats weren't being brushed by the children, they could rub up against brushes recycled from street cleaning machines.



Rose-tu, the elephant, is expecting a baby some time in November. When we were there, the zoo keepers were giving her some solo time in preparation for the birth. (Usually, the females like to stay in a group.) We saw the tail end of her exercise routine, too.


I remember seeing Packy, the first elephant born in captivity in a zoo in over 44 years, shortly after his birth in 1962. It was a big event and I put the clipping in my scrapbook.  I can still sing the Zoo Key song, too.











2 comments:

Anne said...

That looks like it was a lot of fun. Sorry I missed it.
Gonna try to join you guys some time soon.

Vicky said...

Thanks for stopping by, Anne.
I hope you can come out sketching again soon--maybe the apple tasting this weekend?