Friday, August 15, 2014

Construction in the Pearl

Today, sketching in Portland's Pearl district, I tried something different: I used Inma Serrano's method  (from the Barcelona symposium) of sketching buildings by starting with paint first. I didn't care if the buildings were very accurate or not; I was going for an impression. I used Gail Wong's suggestion of using a bigger brush  (in this case a flat one) for a looser look.  After painting, I added the ink and some of the details.


I had a lot of fun sketching like this. I wasn't concerned with how many windows I was drawing or how precise the balconies were---or anything else. I wasn't really thinking very much,  just adding paint and then lines, and it was very refreshing.

Portlanders, if you're in the mood for drawing construction, I'd suggest you head for The Fields. There are at least three blocks filled with cranes, drills,  rebar and more. You may want to take ear plugs. Happy sketching!

4 comments:

Dailysketches said...

Wow-just terrific! Should be on the USK blog! Atleast the PDX one though worthy of major USK site.
Great technique that you executed well.

Vicky said...

Aren't you sweet, Linda! I love your enthusiastic support. Next week, you'll have to join us!

Anonymous said...

Nice sketches and documentation of the eternal changes taking place in that part of town. It's a far cry from even when the symposium took place near there. I've enjoyed drawing in the fields as well. I miss drawing with you.

Vicky said...

Thanks, Bill! You should come join us this Saturday at the waterfront. It would be great to draw with you.