Friday, September 17, 2010

Portland's Food Carts

Portland has so many food carts and some are very creatively decorated, making them fun to sketch. This week, I sketched food carts at 43rd and Belmont and also at Mississippi and Skidmore.


This sketch isn't done yet. It needs some sort of background or maybe people. The cart is called Lucille's Balls and serves organic meatballs.  It's a very cheerful yellow cart, decorated with giant poppies. The retro table along with the fresh flowers make it look very inviting even to someone who rarely eats meat.

This delightfully named food cart (Euro Trash) is located at 43rd and Belmont in SE Portland. I didn't try any of their food this time, but I loved the name "Oregon Donor" of one of the menu items.



The Ruby Dragon is a food cart on Mississippi Avenue. Several sketchers converged on this site today to draw and paint the colorful carts and eat the yummy food. I tasted a friend's delicious sandwich from here and then ordered a giant bowl of Miso soup which was tasty and big enough for several people to share. Sprout and the other man who were working here today were very friendly and obliging when we wanted to include them in our drawings. I'm sure glad to live in Portland.

2 comments:

helen said...

Do you take photos or just sketch as you sit there? I like these a lot and I can see a book of food carts of Portland coming soon with these images!

Vicky said...

Thanks for your comments, Helen. In answer to your question: I sometimes take a photo to remember colors if I'm going to add that later. Other than that, I just sit and sketch. I lose interest really quickly if I draw from a photo. I sketch for the whole experience--while sketching and then remembering when I look back later.