Sunday, July 3, 2011

Portland's 'Up' House

Today I went downtown to sketch Portland's 'Up' House. According to the Oregonian newspaper http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2011/06/in_downtown_portland_a_lawyer.html, this 1894 Victorian was threatened by our public transportation agency with possession by eminent domain so that a new lightrail turnaround could be built. The lawyer who works in the house had refused to sell. Eventually, the surrounding property was purchased by Portland State University and a new residence hall is now being built around the house. The relationship between the attorney and the construction company is good and this week the company helped to anchor 400 helium balloons to a cord that runs through the chimney. As I was sketching, a few other people came by for photos. I heard one young woman say, "This is the kind of thing that makes me so glad I live in Portland." I have to agree.


I did the sketch quickly while standing and it's kind of wonky, but I'm glad I was there to record it before the balloons deflate.

1 comment:

barbaraschn said...

Vicky I wish I had been there with my camera, but at least you got it recorded in your painting. Very nice.

Barb