Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Capricious Spring

With our changeable spring weather, you have to be willing to sketch inside...



and to reschedule everything to be outside when the sun appears....


 The Portland Waterfront was lovely when the first cherry blossoms came out...



but when they were in their glory last weekend, all the crowds came out, too. That sent me to a quieter corner of the city....




I thought I could show those delicate white blossoms by leaving the paper white, but then I resorted to the old elementary school technique of using a piece of sponge (and gouache).


When I sketched the rock from our sister city in Suzhou, China, the blossoming trees were behind me, but the bamboo was a fresh spring green. The rare stone is said to 'call forth the spirit' and that seems like a good thing, too.

No comments: