Saturday, May 11, 2013

Train Day

Today, the Urban Sketchers gathered at Union Station to record the festivities of National Train Day.
I started with a quick sketch of a fellow sketcher.


Next, I tried to capture the crowd waiting in line for a close up look at an old steam engine. There were people of all ages, lots of little kids, train buffs, and several clowns.

watercolor and ink on toned paper


 After a while, I escaped the crowds and sketched in the garden outside the station.This napper had a dog that watched over her. There was really only the one dog, but I liked it in both positions. Later, another young woman switched places with this one and brought another dog! I felt like my sketch of two dogs made it happen:) I decided I'll draw a large pile of money to test this theory.


I went back for another quick sketch of this engine and added the gel pen and marker at home.

ink, marker, and gel pen on toned paper

As always, it was fun and inspiring to sketch with the Urban Sketchers of Portland.




4 comments:

Janene said...

Your sketching skills are developing by leaps and bounds!! These are wonderful--particularly the steam engine with the crowd in front and the fellow sketcher. Well done!

barbaraschn said...

some of your drawings remind me of James Thurber....love your work!

Vicky said...

Thank you so much, Janene. I don't actually see improvement in my sketching skills, but it means so much to me to have you see that. You know I really admire your skills and your discerning eyes.

Vicky said...

Wow, Barb! Thank you! James Thurber could sure get a lot across in a few lines. Funny guy, too.