Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Day 19: Tired Leaves

If you want to see some beautifully painted leaves, you should look at Shari Blaukopt's blog, which probably inspired me to paint these desiccated leaves that fell into the yard from the massive tree next door. I tried Katharine's trick of adding some powdered instant coffee while the paint was wet. I wasn't very careful when scattering it, so some went outside the leaf shapes. With  the addition of  water, it became the background. It's not clear in the scan, but the dark spots are kind of thick and very shiny. Maybe I used the wrong kind of coffee--or maybe it was supposed to be tea. Well, at least my sketch smells good.

4 comments:

Dailysketches said...

Vicky,these are lovely.i love the coffee spots,background and the shadows were done very nicely. Yeah,you!

Vicky said...

Thanks, Linda.

Janene said...

What fun! I love the earthy look that the coffee splotches give to the leaves and the background--very appropriate to the season. The shadows are great too. Hmmm...maybe I'll go have a cup...

Vicky said...

I'm sure you didn't use this technique in your botanical illustration course, Janene.